Euphemia Bowen

I recognized the handwriting.
I just knew I did, but from where?



























The back of this darling little carte de visite captivated me - I knew it had to somehow be related to the Snodgrass / Taylor bunch I had previously found at Miss Pixies. So, for a dollar, I took it home with me, in hopes that I could find the link.

I grabbed all the other photos I had of this family and turned them over: where did I see that handwriting before? Those distinctive r's...

Then I saw it. On the back of two of Ada's photos, each reading "Ada Taylor, my sister."

So, if whoever wrote on the back of this carte de visite was Ada's sister, that means "Mother's sister" would have to be a sister to Emily Bowen.

I turn to FindAGrave, the quickest way to get an idea of who's who in the family tree, and that's where one of Emily Bowen's siblings sticks out to me: Euphemia.

Turns out 'Aunt Fanny', as I had originally read on the back of the photo, is 'Aunt Famy': undoubtedly short for Euphemia.

Euphemia Bowen was born in 1844 to Edward and Juliann Bowen in Ohio. Emily's elder by nine years, Euphemia was the family's first child. She married William Conley, a man nine years her senior, on November 4, 1869. Their first child and only child, Mattie Conley, was born in Auglaize County, OH in 1872, and in 1880 the family is living in Hopewell, Ohio.

 -


Mattie Conley grew up to be quite a successful young woman, much like her cousin, Fontabelle. One wonders if Mattie and Fontabelle ever knew each other. Like Fontabelle, Mattie went off to university, attending Earlham College, an institution founded by the Religious Society of Friends, in Richmond, Indiana. She became a member of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution as well.

In 1900, Euphemia and William were living in Floyd Co., IA with Mattie and her husband, John Brown. Although 28, Mattie reports having no children. Only a few years later, Euphemia dies. She is buried in Valparaiso, IN.

As for the date of the photo, according to The Weekly Marysville Tribune newspaper, Baker and Hittler dissolved in 1869, meaning this portrait of Euphemia and her impeccable pincurls was likely taken in her early 20s.




Comments

Popular Posts